Reminder - The Interact Club will be hosting its annual Volleyball tournament on Friday, April 21 from 5-7 at the high school gym. Cost is $5 per person and you must have a team to play on when registering. Teams consist of 5-7 players each. Also, each player must have signed waiver form. See Ms. Worthington for details! Register at the door.
1. If you receive a scholarship/financial award or other award and would like it announced at the Senior Award Night on May 18 at 7:00 p.m., please notify the Guidance Office with a copy of the award on their letterhead by Wednesday, May 3, 2017. Awards will also be published in the Wilmington News Journal.
2. To verify your high school graduation date, the college you plan to attend next year will want to receive a copy of your final transcript. To request that be sent, please bring in an envelope addressed to the college with the proper postage attached. Leave the return address blank (we will stamp the high school return address there) and put your name on the inside flap. If you have applied to more than one school, it is courteous to notify theschool(s) you will not attend of your plans.
3. To participate in the graduation ceremony, you must attend the practice session on Friday, May 26 at 10:00 a.m. There are no exceptions to this requirement. The graduation ceremony is at 7:00 p.m. (doors open at 6:00 p.m.). Both the ceremony and practice are held in the Wilmington Middle School gymnasium. You should not write anything on the top of your cap. If we see anything on it during line-up before commencement, it will be taken and you will receive a different cap to wear. Caps/gowns can be picked up April 25 at lunch.
4. Seniors will receive ten (10) tickets for graduation. These can be picked up on Tuesday, May 16 in the auditeria during lunch. (Laurel Oaks students will receive their tickets on May 15 following senior awards practice. Scarlet Oaks and Live Oaks students may pick up tickets in the Guidance Office on or after May 15, 7:30-4:00, Monday through Friday.) There will be no extra tickets available until the morning of graduation. Seniors do not need a ticket for themselves, only their guests. Every guest attending, except for infants (under 2 years of age), will need a ticket to enter. If you are not on track to graduate due to incomplete credits, VLA classes, or OGT, you will receive your tickets at the completion of all requirements. Any cap and gown that are paid for but were not picked up can be picked up in the Guidance Office.
5. There will be a senior breakfast the morning of graduation at 9:00 a.m. (before practice) at the Hurricane Youth Football Complex behind the high school.
6. Tassels – If you want to buy just a tassel, they will be for sale at graduation practice for $10. If possible, Please purchase one ahead of time so we do not run out the day of graduation.
7. Chromebooks - All Chromebooks will need to be returned or purchased before graduation. There will be a Chromebook turn-in day in late May. At this time all Chromebooks will be turned in and inspected for damage. Any damages will need to be paid for before graduation. Any senior who wants to keep their Chromebook may do so for a $100 price. If you purchase your Chromebook, it will be removed from the WCS Network and will be yours to do with as you please.
8. Yearbooks - April 22 is the last chance to buy a 2017 yearbook. Yearbooks can be purchased online at yearbooksforever.com or a check for $75 made out to WHS Yearbook can be sent to the library. There are a
limited number of yearbooks available this year. When they are sold out, no more will be available. Yearbooks can be picked up at WHS sometime in the fall. The last week of April (24-28) will be Then & Now Week for seniors wanting a Then & Now picture in the yearbook. Pictures will be taken 5th period in the Media Center during this week. Cost is $5 per person per picture. BRING YOUR OLD PICTURE WITH YOU! There is still time for parents to put Baby Ad messages in the yearbook as well. The deadline for this is April 22, and they can be done at www.yearbooksforever.com
9. The last day for seniors is Monday, May 22.
Any action of any senior during the final quarter that causes damage to the building or extra work by any staff to clean up will result in that senior being banned from walking in the graduation ceremony.
Wilmington High School provides numerous opportunities for its students. Our amazing staff and supportive community help students accomplish their goals and achieve their dreams. Teachers and coaches strive to provide the best education possible for students to succeed during, and after high school. We are proud to call ourselves Wilmington Hurricane.
We want students to be involved and find out what they love and enjoy. The possibilities are endless here at WHS! Wilmington High School offers a variety of opportunities to become involved. We have groups ranging from government, to community service groups, to interest oriented clubs. We have prestigious theater, band, and choir groups just waiting for you to join! We want students to be able to participate in anything that will expand their learning experience.
With that said, make the most out of your high school experience. So get involved and try something new! Our community, staff, and peers will always support you.
From the senior leadership representatives, we welcome you to Wilmington High School and remember: it is a great day to be a Hurricane!
Student Council President
National Honor Society President
Savannah MorganSenior Class President
Do you have questions about the College Credit Plus program? The WHS Counseling team has created a new page on their website dedicated specifically to CCP. For more information, check out this link: http://canecounselors.weebly.com/college-credit-plus.html
Make sure to email your counselor if you have any questions!